Friday, August 22, 2008

Back to Reality

I'm back! I haven't posted for a while because we were on our last 'vacation' of the season: a trip to my parents' house. They live on a beautiful, enormous lake here in Virginia about three hours from where we live. The Lake is a lovely place. About 8 years ago, after some cruel, hard times, my parents 'left it all behind' and moved there full time (my stepfather had a condo that he used for weekend getaways at The Lake before he and my mother married). Once settled, they created a new life full of possibilities and gorgeous sunsets and haven't regretted it a bit. We are happy they did it, not only because it was the best thing for them, but also because we have a free vacation spot! ;-)

There is something very special about being out on The Lake with the sun sparkling on the water and the wind whipping wildly through your hair as the boat picks up speed. Skin warmed by the sun and cooled by the wind, tingling with the energy of the boat's engine. Eyes captivated by the green mountains that tower above water, by the beautiful houses that dot the shoreline. Some are modest, many are majestic. All of it sets the soul at ease. Sitting on their dock in brightly colored Adirondack chairs as the sun sets and an evening summer breeze ripples the water is heaven. The sound of the lake gently slapping at the rip-rap of the shoreline calms me. It takes away my 'edge,' which is what I call that simmering, under-the-surface anxiety and irritability I seem to wear in my day-to-day existence like an old scratchy wool sweater. Maybe I would become one of those people who meditate and practice yoga if I had a dock on a lake with gentle breezes and lapping water as my only distraction. Who knows?

I do know that I had a good time this visit. I was more relaxed, and I consciously tried to be 'in the moment.' My boys love it there so much. Boogah is becoming a master fisherman under his Pop-pop's tutelage. He got to use the larger fishing rod this time and to take the fish off the hook himself. If possible, he'd fish the entire time we're there--even at 2 a.m. if I'd let him. No need to sleep or eat--just fish. Of course, he didn't fish the whole time. We also went to a local zoo and science museum. We swam at the pool (which was freezing for some reason), and at one point all the boys (Pop-pop and Daddy included) put up Pop-pop's "really cool" tent and spent some time in there talking, playing with flashlights, reading books and eating chocolate chip cookies before they had to come back in the house and sleep in their real beds--much to the little boys' chagrin and the big boys' relief! Though Blue is not truly ready for real fishing (there were some whiny fishing moments), he did get some lessons on casting the rod, and he did it a few times all on his own. He enjoyed playing with his Star Wars figures out on their patio overlooking The Lake a little more to fishing this visit. It will be interesting to see if he eventually takes to fishing as much as his older brother has. They are so different, but they do have one thing in common: an early passion for The Lake.

My mother has always said that The Lake is a 'magical' place, and I'm beginning to believe this is true. For a few brief moments I saw the magic this trip: through the pride on Boogah's face as he reeled in his sixth Brim of the day; through Blue's laughter as he fed a family of ducks some Pringles Cracker Sticks (it's all we had) off the side of the boat; through the peace I felt as I looked out over that water. Yes, it's magical, and it is what we make it, like anything else in life. During other visits, I've made it something else. I've made it negative at times, focusing on moments like the hassle of a long car ride with small children or my over-sensitivity to well meaning comments from my parents. (Will I ever finally evolve from that over-emotional sixteen year old from ions ago?) I never allowed in the peace or joy that is there for the taking. It rarely registered or stayed in my conscience. This time; however, I think I let it in. This time, I actually saw the magic, welcomed it, believed in it. I hope I was able to bring a little of it home with me, too, so that when that all too familiar scratchy, woolly 'edge' sweater gets to be a bit much, I can slip it off and take a little mental 'dip' in The Lake.

With back-to-school events, Pee Wee soccer and all that the fall brings, our next visit to The Lake probably won't be until Thanksgiving. It is a slightly different experience to be there in a cooler season, but I'm sure it will be just as magical. Hope the fish are still biting!

No comments: